Tuesday, February 26, 2008

February 26th - Omeo (Victoria) to Tumut (New South Wales)

As of this date Orbost has the cheapest 2 litre box of wine, matter of fact just about every other store in Orbost has a liquid license .... another factoid worth noting.

Omeo to Orbost
Omeo to Benambra, stopping at the local petrol station for advice. So up the Limestone gravel road we go and maintained in decent shape for farmer traffic. Once we connect to the Benambra road (Alpine National Park) everything goes to hell quickly. Rutted, corrugated, washed out and anything else that comes to mind. Once back to the main gravel road life improves an 100 per cent. Gravel and sealed into Orbost is a comfortable ride. The Orbost caravan site, well the kitchen area would need a fire hose just to clean it up for beginners, then improve the lighting and get rid of the concrete tables and chairs, but who am I to complain when I can wear the same clothes for 7-10 days at a time.

Orbost (Victoria) to Jindabyne (NSW)
First stop was the bakery, I don't know what I consumed but I hit every loo up to the NSW border. With rain and gale force winds behind me it was north on route C612 to Bonang. It was curves all of the way up and all through a forest reserve. I could think of other places to drive but it was there to be driven and it was going where I wanted to go by the end of the day. At Bonang you turn left on C611 for Mckillops Bridge. Now things start to get interesting, we are back to gravel and the road gets really narrow. And being that it was Sunday, I didn't hit any traffic coming my way. I didn't see any traffic until I got to the bridge and then I encounter 6 4WD's with outback trailers going like hell. The first one had me over to the left of the road with idiot behind him pushing me even further to the left where I was just about off the road all together. But we are having fun!

Cross the bridge and head north through Suggan Buggan (I am not making this name up) on C608 through the Snowy River National Park. This is a ride that has to go down as one of magnificent scenery, very narrow cliff roads, not be afraid of heights or riding the edge. And if you meet someone coming from the other direction......flip a coin as to who will back up! Once you are out the NP, you have about 10km of rutted, corrugated, washed gravel until the sealed road. Next stop is Jindabyne for the night. The Family Parks caravan site is the place to be for sunsets off the lake.

Jindabyne to Tumut(NSW)
It was a dry, a bit fresh morning heading south through the Kosciuszko National Park. Another ride that should not be passed up for the beauty of the park and the roads throughout. To keep everything in perspective, it was Jindabyne - Thredo -Khancoban - Tooma - Tumbarumba - Batlow - Tumut. Once you are out of the NP the landscape opens up to soft rolling hills of farm land.

Tumut(NSW)
Two days here for .......I am out of wine and the library only charges $2.00 to use the Internet. Had a small visitor to my tent last night and his deposit was noted this AM. Left to explore the gravel road to Wee Jasper park. For one the gravel road is only and I stress this, only for log trucks. Well down the road I go and just to make sure my directions are correct I stop by a log truck to confirm the map of sorts. Either my hearing got bad or I had another senior moment but following his directions had me completely loss for a better word. We should all be glad that the world is round and that all roads have to go some where. Well 160km's later I finally hit a sealed road, Mrs Mac's lead bottom pies and a cuppa.

Tomorrow I head west to Broken Hill.

The Grey Nomad

No comments: