Thursday, March 13, 2008

March 13th - Warrumbungle NP to Armidale (NSW)

Warrumbungle National Park
Still at Warrumbungle. We leave for Coonabarabran (try saying that in one breath!) for the bakery. While there the bike continues to attract people due to the Hawaiian license plate and the number of travel stickers that I have on my panniers. It was north through Baradine then up the dirt road to Philliga (70km). This town and all through this region has been hit hard due to the drought as it is cotton country. You couldn't wish for the worst product to grow then cotton in the dry years. Unemployment is double digits with no relief in sight. Any how it was a stop at the local ice cream parlor where I heard all of the latest gossip.

Leaving town going back down another dirt road I have in my rear view mirror a road train about kilometer behind me and bringing a dust storm with it. Knowing that the road within another kilometer goes sealed, it was throttle to the floor for me beamer. I just beat the road train to the sealed road by 500 meters and the truckie acknowledge this by waving his hand and a loud horn salute.

From Philliga to Coonamble, south to Gulargambone and the back way into the national park. Nice ride with sections of gravel.

Warrumbungle to Mount Seaview
Out of the gate early as everyone else seems to be leaving also. Stopping for breakfast at my favorite bakery(you really don't want me to spell out that city's name again!!?) and knowing that I did not want to take the motorway to Tamworth. I found a series of secondary roads that you just did not want to end. Out to Quirindi and at Caroona we change for Werris Creek then into Tamworth. Tamworth (rt 15) to Walcha (rt 34) heading in the Port Macquarie direction. Route 34 should not be missed as it covers the national parks, forest reserves, farm land. After going through every twist and curve possible and with the sun beginning to set on the horizon. Mount Seaview came into view and it was a no brainer to spend the night there as I was the only one. Just a beautiful place to spend anytime at all. Quite and the cabin was the same price as the tent site.

Mount Seaview to South West Rocks
After the morning cuppa, it was down the road to Wauchope, through Port Macquarie then catching route 1 into Kempsey. From Kempsey we follow the road to Crescent Head then north to Hat Head NP. The road follows the river all of the way to the ocean. Just a great picturesque ride. Reminds you of the canals in England and France.

South West Rocks to Armidale
Into South West Rocks, this place is tourism with the capital T. Spending the night and going to all of the right tourist spots just about makes your day........where is the bottle shop when you need it. Next morning with a heavy dew and the tent just a bit wet it was down the road back to Kempsey. From Kempsey we go north west through Bellbrook then its gravel for the next 80km, this road is a feeway in comparison to the gravel road to Jindabyne.

I have cleaned up my thoughts to some degree concerning the village idiots that I met coming the other way.......believe me on this though, the Gene pool would be missing a few individuals! Getting back to the sealed road we are into Armidale for 2 nights. Seems that my socks have finally failed the sniff test.

The Grey Nomad

No comments: