Thursday, January 24, 2008

January 25th Adelaide to Tasmania

Note: The Canon 20D SLR that was repaired this past month has crashed again. Its just great that I'll be carrying around a non functional camera for 2 months.

My daughter has reminded me that I did not acknowledge my son's contribution to me getting to the airport in Honolulu. It goes like this; son shows up on time, stop for gas and I pay, at airport he wants $35.00 for the trip....and of course I am some what put off by this but the reasoning is the taxi's charge $50.00, he is my son, the conversation was enlightening, he is my son and he has to support his Korean girl friend Cho.....who by the way works nights at a strip club!

Now Adelaide is a great city as long as you don't get caught up in the traffic...... Four cars or more is consided a traffic jam. They need to come to Honolulu for a real treat when it comes to traffic. Staying in Adelaide wasn't bad if you consider that living under a blue tarp along the city dump is the way to go....and a big night out in the city is going to McDonald's on senior citizen night for a major discount on Rice pudding!! And for those senior citizens that qualify, as the 2 I was visiting, the waste water treatment plant has shower day once a week for those of the gray nomad status......free showers from filtered grey water. What a city and to think that South Australia is probably well ahead of the game for senior nomads.

Adelaide to Portland 1.23.08 8.5hrs
By the time I got into Portland there was no feeling to my backside at all. The only time I stopped was for fuel but the ride was worth every bit. I try as much possible to stay on the secondary roads. Staying off the Motorways and "A" roads even the "B" roads lets you see the real Australia vice following someone else for hundreds of kilometers. The "C" roads or dirt gets you through the small towns, open farm lands, desert and all of the twists that a proper Grey Nomad biker enjoys.

Travel to Tasmania at this time (peak) of the year with bike is $225.00(Aus) one way.

Portland to Melbourne 1/24/08
Pretty much a no brainer as you are either going on an "A" road or the motorway. Finally got myself to the Port of Melbourne and in line for the ship, Spirit of Tasmania which wouldn't be loading out until 1830 hours.

Port of Melbourne to Davenport, Tasmania
Underway and the floor was my bed for the night. Good ride over, flat seas, no kids but for the odd sort of bloke who wanted everyone to know that he was a prime twit drinking beer.

Davenport to Stanley
Off the ship and onto the west coast. first stop was to flush my mouth out with anything to kill for not brushing the ivories for the past day....Nothing exciting for the ride out but at the caravan site it was commented on that all of the flies that I was seeing was brought over by the people out of Melbourne......Tassie does not have flies period!

The Grey Nomad

No comments: